Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring Smoothies

As I write this post, the rain is coming pouring down outside my window and melting away all the snow. That can only mean one thing...Spring! On my way to work today I could hear birds chirping and I actually enjoyed the 0.6 mile walk instead of dreading every step I took. One of my favorite times of the year is in early May, when the semester ends and secondary school is still in session, being home to enjoy those few last weeks of Spring. Spring brings many things, on the down side allergies and pollen, but on a better note sunshine, flowers, outdoor actives and most importantly (to me) fresh fruit. Fruit is of course one my my favorite things to eat. Although fruit is highly sugared, it will always be my favorite. My favorite, filling snack is defiantly fruit smoothies (homemade) with organic fruit. 

Smoothies can be both healthy and tasty. You can add in protein or veggies by simply hiding them amongst the dominant, sweet ingredients. One of my favorite smoothies is a green smoothie with mangos, green apples, pineapple, kiwi, banana, spinach and baby kale. Here is a picture of one I made a last spring: 


There is no better way to take advantage of the Spring produce than to whip up a refreshing smoothie. Smoothies are a perfect detox and keep you fuller for longer. It is packed with a few super foods that boost energy and give a balance of nutrients. You won't have to fret over the upcoming bathing suit season if you indulge in one of these over a sugary drink or unhealthy bag of chips.

They are also great for on the go situations. I will just grab a mason jar or water bottle to be able to drink one in the morning for breakfast on-the-go style. Smoothies for breakfast help keep you hydrated during hot summer days. In the summer I will drink one before or after a nice workout or when I am just lounging around.

XOXO, Hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment