Thursday, February 19, 2015

Zero Waste


Think about how much space your garbage output takes up. Well I found the most impressive us of a Mason Jar showcasing just that. This week I discovered an amazing article that a friend informed me about. It is about a women, Lauren Singer, who is living life with a light-footprint, meaning she makes an effort to produce no trash. Over two years she has collected all the trash she has used, what is incredible is that it can all fit in a single mason jar. She is environmentally friendly, embracing the motto “reuse, reduce, recycle” while manufacturing her own motto "say no to trash".  Lauren defines going green, and I find that very admirable in todays society where waste is never really though of. Personally, I try to recycle as much as possible, but I don’t go out of my way to try to be as green as I could. 




One thing that really bothers me is plastic water bottles. I am a huge fan of reusable water bottles that you can fill up and use every day for years. People use multiple plastic water bottles a day for purposes such as convince and because they believe the water is better inside a plastic water bottle. As I am sitting here writing this one of my friends said "I have only used three plastic water bottles in the past four years" and I commended this accomplishment, but at the same time Lauren Singers accomplishments make leaps and bounds compared to this. It is unbelievable that she is able to constantly think about the environment and always be aware of the consequences of living in a world where waste is not thought about until after it is consumed.  


Reusable waster bottles have many benefits. They are less expensive and more durable, they are just as healthy as the industries brand water, and they are better for our environment because they reduce fossil fuels and toxins that plastic produces from its production and long decomposition.

The article is so eye opening to the amount of waste we produce without even thinking about it. It says "Americans produce, on average, 4.4 pounds of trash per day”. This article stuck out to me because of her amazing, ecological conscientiousness assisted by the help of mason jars. She uses mason jars to save waste by drinking out of them, storing food in them and so on. 


                                                                             Photo: Bobby Doherty

 
Lauren's Blog also introduced me to something I had never known was a big waste product. Toothbrushes. If you think about it, you get a new one every few months or so. She says "One of the easiest ways to reduce your environmental impact is to switch from a single use plastic toothbrush to a compostable bamboo toothbrush". 






Article Link: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/all-my-trash-fits-in-a-single-mason-jar.html
Lauren's Blog: http://www.trashisfortossers.com

XOXO, Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment